Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Two Empty Chairs

“In my kitchen there is a table and two empty chairs. I grab the chairs, one for me and one for God. Each day, I take these two chairs and set them facing each other. I invite God to the chair in front of me and I sit in the other. I sit there quiet, waiting as if I really expect Him to show up in person. As I sit and wait quietly, I begin to pray. I begin to repent. I begin to cry and I begin to listen.

I cry out to the Savior of my soul and share the deepest longings of my heart as if Jesus were sitting in that kitchen, right there with me. I cry out for others, I cry out for me, I bring before Jesus, my heart's desires and needs. At some point between the time I set the chairs in place, and the point that I am realizing I am conversing with a physically empty chair, I realize the chair is not empty. I know God is present, I know God is there and has accepted my invitation.

This brings me to my knees. I get up out of my chair and get on my knees as if Jesus is sitting right there in front of me. I imagine the woman wiping the feet of Jesus, as a pool of tears begin to form on the floor in front of me. My stomach wrenches in deep despair as I groan with requests too deep for words. I pray before and seek answers from my Savior, a Savior who has accepted my invitation to simply meet me where I am, which is now on the floor between the two chairs, one of which is now empty, mine.

I do not yet see visible answers to my prayers, but I know He hears me. I do not have a visible plan to try to accomplish, but I know He hears me. I do not know how things will turn out, but I know He hears me, and He knows how it will go. I am assured that in the still and quiet place, while on my knees, that my God knows what His very best is for me. That, and only that, is enough for me to get me through to the next day; a day when the chairs will again be set in place and the invitation extended for Jesus and His Holy Spirit to enter my house, to enter my life and to speak His unspeakable joy, comfort and leading in my life.”

No comments:

Post a Comment